The early medieval Coombes Church is a little Downland treasure. Set on the slope of the Downs at Church Farm, its dedication is unknown, hence the name ‘Coombes Church’. The nave dates from 1100 or before and the chancel was built in the 13th and 14th century. It has served the people of this tiny parish for nearly a thousand years and the small regular congregation works hard to maintain this church as a place of Christian worship and spiritual peace.
The church contains very important wall paintings from around 1100 depicting the gospel story of the birth of Jesus. Re-discovered only in 1949, these are rare survivals from the time when our churches were richly decorated, and taught the Gospel to those who could not read through pictures. The Church bell is dated at 1100 or even earlier and is possibly the oldest in Sussex. It is believed to have been made in Normandy.
The parish shares a rector with St. James the Less in Lancing, but is financially independent and responsible for the up-keep and repairs of this ancient church.
Donations are welcome and funds are raised through the selling of postcards featuring the ancient wall paintings and booklet about the history of the Church is also for sale when visiting or can be posted.
The Coombes Church brochure is £2.50 plus post and packaging.
Postcards are 25p each plus post and packaging.
All funds go to the Church – and please be reminded that the running of the Church is down to the Church of England – the Farm is merely a supporter, admirer and part custodian of this living piece of ancient history.
Holy Eucharist second Sunday of the month 9.00 a.m.
Holy Eucharist Christmas and Easter Days 8.45 a.m.
Evensong between Easter and Harvest 6.00 p.m.
Easter Service 8.45 a.m.
Christmas morning 8.45 a.m.
Rogation 3.00 p.m.
Complin 2nd Friday in July
To contact Coombes Church
Either contact Jenny Passmore firstname.lastname@example.org
Or the rector:
FATHER STEPHEN DATE: 30 Greenoaks, Lancing, BN15 0HE
Phone: 01903 753212 or 07478 315884